Charitable Organization Division
|Donor Beware! As the holidays approach, Governor Hogan and Secretary of State Wobensmith warn citizens to beware of deceptive practices. Click here for more....|
|The first meeting of the Charitable Enforcement and Protection Workgroup created by HB1352/Ch. 654 was held on Tuesday, July 1, 2014. Minutes for the meeting may be found at this link Office of the Attorney General. Please contact Josaphine B. Yuzuik, Co-chair, Assistant Attorney General, at 410-260-3855 should you have any questions.|
|CHARITY REGISTRATION AND PROFESSIONAL SOLICITATION &
FUND-RAISING COUNSEL FEE INCREASES
The Secretary of State and Attorney General - Charitable Enforcement and Protection of Charitable Assets bill was passed during the 2014 General Assembly Session and signed into law thereafter. Effective October 1, 2014, the Annual Charity Registration Fee for non-profits receiving more than $500,000 in charitable contributions will increase from $200.00 to $300.00. Professional Solicitor fees will increase from $300.00 to $350.00; Fund-Raising Counsel fees will increase from $200.00 to $250.00.
|PROPOSED CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION REGULATION CHANGES
1. New wording for COMAR 01.02.04.03D is as follows: Extension of Time for Filing Annual Fiscal Reports. The Secretary may grant an organization an extension of time to file its annual report. The extension may not exceed the 15th day of the 11th month after the end of the charitable organization's fiscal year.
2. New wording for COMAR 01.02.04.20-1A is as follows: A private foundation affiliated with a State agency that is required to register with the Secretary of State as a charitable organization shall file with its registration statement and with each annual report an audit prepared in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards if it is required to do so under Business Regulation Article, §6-402(b)(7)(i), Annotated Code of Maryland.
The Charitable Organizations Division annually registers, regulates and renews charitable organizations, Professional Solicitors and Fund-Raising Counsel soliciting charitable contributions in the State of Maryland. This includes the review of a charitable organization's financial and governing documents, as well as the review of all fund-raising contracts.
The Division administers and reviews applications for participation in the Maryland Charity Campaign for Maryland State Employees and Retirees. In order to encourage public confidence in the integrity of charities, current law mandates that charities reveal to the public their financial and programmatic activities, with the view that an informed public will exercise prudence in giving.
Legislation also established a Charitable Giving Information Program comprised of a toll-free line, a speaker's bureau and the production of charitable giving literature. The program is designed to increase public awareness and encourage questions regarding charitable giving, as well as to offer the public a means of voicing concerns and reporting suspected violations of the charitable law.
Statutory Authority: Business Regulation Article, §§6-1016-701 of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
- Charity Registration
- Disclosure & Financial Statements
- How to Start a Non-Profit Organization in Maryland
- Raffles of Real & Personal Property
- Maryland Charity Campaign
Many states have solicitation acts similar to the Maryland Solicitations Act. These statutes also generally require registration of charitable organizations soliciting in their states. Click here for the pdf version of the Maryland Solicitation Act. Please be advised that although every effort has been made to reproduce the current text of the Maryland Code for these sections, this office does not warrant the accuracy of this content.
If a charitable organization is soliciting or is planning on soliciting charitable contributions in other states, the organization should contact the state agency responsible for the regulations of charitable solicitations and determine whether registration is required.
- Information for Professional Solicitors, Fund-raising Counsel and Public Safety Solicitors
- Professional Solicitors & Fund-raising Counsel List
- Suggestions for working with a Paid Fund-Raiser
Professional Solicitors and Fund-raising Counsel
- Search the Charity Database
- Phony Philanthropy
- Giving Wisely Program
- Name Removal from Solicitation Lists
- Report a possible violation/infraction of a Charity or Professional Fund-Raiser
- Visit our office to review records filed by registered charities
- How to Donate a Vehicle to Charity - Information from MVA
In response to the many questions about particular organizations and programs, the Division provides additional information for donors on the organizations and its programs.
- TREA Senior Citizens League's Notch Program Teach Tolerance is a program of the Southern Poverty Law Center. For additional information on the Southern Poverty Law Center, enter the organizations' name in the keyword field of the database
Questions: Telephone Numbers:
Shawn Estrada (410) 260-3974
Tanya Pinkney (410) 260-3862
Kim Smith (410) 260-3864
or (800) 825-4510